TAYLOR MADE FLEA TREATMENT PLANS
BECAUSE ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL!!
Ask out veterinary team for help in how best to treat and control fleas in your pets with your own parasite protection plan!
The last few years we have seen more flea problems as the warmer climate seems to result in a year round battle for flea prevention. Added to that there are so many products now to choose from, it can be very hard to pick the right one for your pet. We often see a flea outbreak due to selection of the wrong product – such as choosing a spot on that is not waterproof in a dog that swims regularly. You think you have protected them but within a week it will all have washed off. Some flea products that are well known household names are not waterproof. Or picking a new product because a previous one has not worked for you but not realising that, although the name is different, the chemical you are now using is exactly the same as the other product. So no wonder that one doesnâ’t work either.
Then to choose – spot on one, shampoo, flea collar, tablet for one month, tablet for three months. The choice seems never ending.
And is it just fleas you are worried about. Do you want to protect against ticks and tick borne diseases such as Lymesdisease. And what about those pesky foxes that come into your garden carrying fox mange – should you use something for that too. And are you likely to travel abroad – so what to do about heartworm and sand flies.
And then what can the cat give the dog or the dog give the cat. No wonder it is so confusing. This is where any of the Kernow Veterinary Group surgeries can help. We can guide you through the minefield of options and help you choose the right combination of products that will help you and your pets. We can help you to create a parasite protection plan. The vets and the nursing team are always happy to help.
Added to that, because we want to treat every pet as an individual, we are happy to be flexible about what products you use for flea prevention through our KVG Pet Health Club – you will find more details about this on our website or do ask any of the team about this great way of budgeting for the preventive medicine that your pet needs.
Flea information that might help you:-
- Only 5% of the flea population in your house is on the animal so with some products you need to use treatment for the house as well – household sprays will help you treat that other 95% of your flea population!
- The flea does not get off your pet to lay their eggs – the eggs just drop off as your pet moves about. So where you pet goes most then there you will find most of the eggs and larvae. So that might include chairs, the pets bed, rugs, your bed………!
- So if you see some fleas on your dog or cat you need to treat everywhere that your pet goes and also all the pets to get on top of your problem quickly.
- Itching can be caused by irritation from flea bites.
- Itching can also be caused by an allergy to flea saliva – this is what they call Flea Allergic Dermatitis (FAD). And this is the one that really makes them itch because just the presence of fleas, even if they are dead or dying from treatment, can be enough to cause a lot of irritation, scratching and chewing.
- Be very careful to use any product correctly. Permethrin based dog spot on products can cause fitting and even death in cats. So always read the label before using!
We hope this helps a little but the main take home message is
ASK OUR VETERINARY TEAM FOR HELP IN HOW BEST TO TREAT AND CONTROL FLEAS ON YOUR PETS
LET US TRY AND MAKE THIS A FLEA FREE YEAR!