All our vet team at Kernow Vets are urging pet owners to keep Easter Eggs and chocolates out of reach of their furry friends. In recent years, Kernow Vets, with surgeries in St Austell, Bodmin, Lostwithiel and Liskeard, has seen an increase in dogs being treated for chocolate toxicity.
Practice manager Renay Rickard said “With Easter eggs arriving in homes across Cornwall the likelihood of inquisitive dogs sniffing out a potentially dangerous snack is dramatically increased.”
“Prevention is better than cure, so we would always recommend that chocolate is kept out of the reach of pets. However, should the worst occur
and your pet does manage to locate your treats we’ve compiled a few handy hints to ensure your four legged friends are safe.”
● Remove any chocolate from pets immediately, should they be found eating it, and check they do not have wrappers left in their mouth.
● Ensure the animal is breathing and acting normally and try to determine the amount of chocolate the pet has consumed and what brand of
chocolate as this is important. Eating even a very small amount of dark chocolate can be serious. This is because dark chocolate contains far more of the chemical that has the toxic effect in cats and dogs compared to milk chocolate. This information is really important.
● Ring your vet’s surgery straight away and, with this information, it will make it easier to assess the urgency of any treatment needed.
● Even low levels of chocolate can cause vomiting and diarrhoea and high levels of the toxin can have much more serious effects including
heart disturbances and seizures.
● If a pet does get hold of any Easter treats, don’t hesitate to seek professional advice from a vet – they will usually need to assess the animal in person right away.
For more information on chocolate toxicity, we are happy for you to call one of the Kernow Vets surgeries.
Kernow Vets are open 7 days a week, including providing our own out of hours service, and have clinics in Bodmin, St. Austell, Lostwithiel and Liskeard